Here are screenshots from the October 12, 2008 "Omaggio a Pavarotti" in Petra, Jordan to commemorate the first year of Pavarotti's death. The memorial concert and benefit was organized by Princess Haya of Jordan & Nicoletta Mantovani, and included performers from "Pavarotti & Friends": Andrea Bocelli, Lorenzo "Jovanotti" Cherubini, Laura Pausini, Sting, and Zucchero. Other performers included: Angela Gheorghiu, Andrea Griminelli, Cynthia Lawrence, Sherrill Milnes, José Carreras, Plácido Domingo and Aleem Quandour.
Gruppo Mediaset transmitted the concert via Retequattro on October 22, 2008, and O.C. took some nice pictures to share with her readers. Enjoy!
- Song 1: Zucchero went first with "Miserere". He tried to do this sort of virtual duet with Pavarotti, so they showed footage of an old duet between him and Pavarotti on the jumbo-screen. Picture below.
Click the link below for a song-by-song recap, and to see like a million pictures of Laura Pausini, Andrea Griminelli, Bono, Andrea Bocelli, Angela Gheorghiu, Aleem Quandour, Cynthia Lawrence, Sherril Milnes, José Carreras, and Plácido Domingo
- Song 2: Jovanotti sang "A Te" (Santarnecchi).
- Song 3: Laura Pausini and Andrea Bocelli sang a duet "Vivere" (Bixio). Pictures below.
- Song 4: Angela Gheorghiu and Sting sang Mozart's "Là ci darem la mano" from Don Giovanni. Go here for pictures.
- Song 5: Zucchero sang "Va Pensiero" (Verdi, Solera, Vernaghi) with more footage of an old duet between Pavarotti playing on the jumbo-screen.
- Song 6: José Carreras and Plácido Domingo sang "Non ti scordar di me" (Furno', Marishka, de Curtis). For that they got a standing ovation. Pictures below.
- Then Laura Pausini spoke about how Pavarotti helped her throughout her career.
- Song 7: Andrea Bocelli sang "Mattinata" by Ruggero Leoncavallo. Picture below.
- Song 8: Lorenzo Jovanotti sang "Guarda che luna" by Magoni.
- Song 9: José Carreras sang "Chitarra Romana" (Di Lazzaro, Cherubini). Pictures below.
- Song 10: Laura Pausini with "Il Mondo Che Vorrei" (Buffat, Pausini, Salvatori). Seriously out of tune.
- Song 11: Flutist Andrea Griminelli played Ennio Morricone's "Theme from Mission".
- Then Bono spoke in a pre-recorded session all about the big spirit of Luciano, followed by Zucchero sharing more memories.
- Song 12: Andrea Bocelli with "E lucean le stelle" from Puccini's Tosca.
- Song 13: Then came Angela Gheorghiu with "Granada" (Augustin Lara)
- Song 14: Zucchero with "Nel Cosi' blu" (Fornaciari, Brooker)
- Song 15: Pausini and Jovanotti in a duet of "Caruso" (Dalla) with some very bad feedback.
- Then a pausa with Pausini, who talked about the big & warm hugs of Pavarotti. It followed with a speech by Gianfranco Fini who spoke about the UN organization fundraiser.
- Song 16: the young violinist Aleem Quandour and the flautest, Andrea Griminelli, did Bach's Concerto in d minor.
- Song 17: Plácido Domingo sang "Amor, Vida de mi vida".
- Then they showed a clip of "When we Dance', a duet with Pavarotti and Sting from his Pavarotti and Friends dealio. It was followed by a clip of "Cosi' Celeste" from 2003 Pavarotti and Friends. Then Zucchero spoke again. Then one of Pavarotti's oldest, non-business friend spoke. He called himself "Panocia", but his real name is Franco Casarini, and he is an adorable little mousie.
- Song 18: the Quartette from the third act of Puccini's la Boheme. Sung by Angela Gheorghiu, Sherril Milnes, Cynthia Lawrence, and Andrea Bocelli. This is clearly the piece that Roberto Alagna bowed out of, and Angela sung wiht Bocelli instead.
Then a projection of Pavarotti singing this "Nessun dorma" from Puccini's Turandot on the jumboscreen with Zubin Mehta conducting.